Propane safety tips
Propane gas is a safe, clean burning and versatile fuel; however, as with any other fuels, there are steps you should take to ensure your safety. Here are the safety rules you and your family need to know to help keep everyone safe in the house. IF YOU SMELL GAS: Immediately evacuate everyone from the house and call 911, or your local fire department, from a neighbor’s telephone or using your cell phone at a safe distance from your home.
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS! Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s house or using your cell phone away from the gas leak, call your propane dealer right away (Knapp 269.388.5034). If you can’t reach your propane dealer, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or a qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a qualified Knapp Energy service technician must check your entire system, on the outside of your house, to ensure that it is leak-free.