Heating oil safety tips
Home heating oil spills usually occur due to a tank leak or heating system malfunctions. These spills are safety hazards because fuel oil is combustible. In addition, a spill may result in very expensive cleanup bills to decontaminate surrounding areas. Here are a few simple steps to prevent damage to property and injuries to people.
1. Check to see that all fuel oil pipe connections are tight.
2. If you have cleaned or replaced your fuel oil fill cap, vent cap, or gauge, have your driver inspect it to make sure that it has been reinstalled properly.
3. Make sure all fill and vent pipes are cleaned and clear, are accessible, and visible to the delivery driver.
4. Check the stability of the fuel oil tank legs and surrounding area.
5. If you have removed your fuel oil tank, notify Knapp Energy immediately to terminate your automatic fill service.
6. If you no longer have a fuel oil tank, Knapp suggests removing all fill and vent pipes.
7. When leaving home for an extended period of time in cold weather, ask someone to check daily to make sure the heat is operating correctly.